Friday, June 27, 2014

Walden as a Container - Farewell

As I reflect on the time I have spent as a Walden University student and the pursuit of my Master’s degree in Early Childhood Studies, I know that this experience has allowed me to grow as an early childhood professional in ways I did not entirely imagine.  

I think my most significant personal growth came during my Perspectives on Diversity and Equity course.  Being given the opportunity to consider my personal culture and figure out who I am, what my discomforts are, and what I may have misunderstood before the course, was a true gift that will allow me to be a better member of society. 

Another significant lesson was during the communications course, I came to really understand that communication is not only a two way process, but to be successful it must be respectful, reciprocal, and responsive. This understanding and the 3 Rs are now deeply rooted as part of my personal values and is a way of being for me.  

Finally, I see my capstone project as a gift.  The challenge of advancing leadership capacity at all levels of the early childhood field through leadership development, as a first step toward the internal advocacy and mobilization necessary to “moving the overall field forward as a more viable, coherent, accountable, and respected field of practice” has been on my mind since I read Ready or Not in 2007 (Goffin & Washington) (Goffin, 2009, p.1).  Having the time and focus to tease apart the historical context and the current scope of the challenge as well as setting some real life professional goals to address it, has helped propel me into the next phase of my career. 
In October of 2012 I was asked to state my professional goals.  They were as follows:
  • ·      To complete a Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Studies with a specialty in Public Policy and Advocacy so that I may have a deeper more formalized understanding of the field of early childhood.
  • ·      Once I complete my Master’s, to advance my career as a leader in the field of early childhood and be a voice for young children, their families, and the professionals who care and educate them.
  • ·      To be on the 2014 ballot for the National Association for the Education of Young Children Governing Board as a candidate.


As of today, June 26, 2014, I am proud to say I have reached 2 of the 3 goals by completing the last course in the Master’s program and having been on the NAEYC ballot this last year.  I also believe I am well on my way to reaching the third, to advance my career as a leader in the field of early childhood and be a voice for young children, their families, and the professionals who care and educate them, however I know this goal is to broad and must be refined in order for it to be attainable.  As I set out on the next phase of my professional journey my revised goal is to dedicate my career to developing the leadership capacity of the field of early childhood care and education as a way to contribute to the end goal of access to affordable, high quality, early childhood programs for all children and families.

As I close my last blog post as a Walden University Master’s degree student, it is appropriate to say a few good-byes and thank-yous to all my thought partners and loved ones.  First I would like to thank my colleagues from my Capstone class as well as Dr. Dartt for their insight and support.  Your contributions made my project stronger then it would have been if I had been on my own.  Next I would like to acknowledge and thank all the colleagues and instructors I have had during my tenure as a Walden University student, for their contributions to my success.   I have met and worked with some amazing people in the last 21 months.  I would also like to thank my colleagues outside of Walden University for the opportunity to speak about the ideas and experiences I was having as an online student.  Finally, I must thank my family for their support and patience as I completed this program. 
 Just this week someone shared the following quote with me.  I would like to share it with all of you as I say good bye!  I look forward to watching each of you as we lead our field forward, so that one day all children and families have access to affordable, high quality early childhood programs starting them on a path to becoming contributing members of society.

“My life has taught me that good teaching is about creating a container for exploration”
                                                                                                                          David Robinson

Thank you!

Betsy

Goffin, S. G. (2009). Field-wide leadership: Insights from five fields of practice. Retrieved from https://a20f3032-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/goffinstrategygroup/docu/Field-WideLeadership_Final.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cr5PVMgkFjeERwGdT-JlaAVMK3aX5vGfhbRFFxqEQS8q5451FTD6Yv-w29f9vjuexlOoaxKqJWa_0ZTQJTEhQ7JAFFwEW0tM6WxgkIIAjGAAjJQXQ9nAkp_BStsJLU-hIpIgA9FL9GVpdvfAer1q9PQEaKy-rFWXDouNbl-Mnv_3JpnBtpDjv2wAYxSJYWqLY5XR5q9oIkpx6I9_vfBvQoghLL5UJz67k_pOZsDXb_klhAeQ8iDNZGAA-viTVPG_Nyvp0TM&attredirects=0


Goffin, S., & Washington, V., (2007). Ready or not: Leadership choices in early care and education. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.

3 comments:

  1. Betsy,

    I must agree with you. I also found the Perspectives on Diversity course to be my most favorite and the course which I feel provided me a wonderful opportunity for personal and professional growth. I believe one of the greatest lessons I have learned from Walden is the importance of becoming other-oriented and considering diverse perspectives.

    I am happy to have had the opportunity to meet you and learn from your experiences. I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleague Betsy,

    Coming into this experience, I did not expect to gain so much with my own professional growth. I also want to thank you for providing me with your insights and thoughts with my weekly discussion and blog posts.

    I will take all this and utilize them in the near future to be an agent of positive social change. As you set out with the next phase of your professional work, I wish you much success and extending my thank you- A yee hee.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, we have ran a very long and extensive race; but Thanks be to God we've all made it and have succeeded! I must agree that I was kind of unsure about the MS program thinking it may be more than I can handle, but once I started and really focused in on my assignments, interactions amongst classmates, and the feedback from both classmates and the professors, I then realized that I was capable and I was going to strive to do my best. It has been a joy having you in the same class and sharing your wealth of knowledge with me especially, but the class as a whole. Congratulations on having already accomplished 2/3 of your goals, and the continued strive to make that last goal an future accomplishment. Good Luck in the next journey that you may embark on and always remember you can do it, because you have the passion to do so.
    Sherrell

    ReplyDelete